Sunday, August 16, 2009

Yank Sing Deem Sum

Yank Sing is famous in San Francisco. But for good reason: it is the best dim sum in the city. Sherry first introduced me, a Seattle native explaining with a lot of patience with my reluctance that I would be floored. And I was. It's no surprise then, that #97 on 7x7's 100 is their sesame balls, gooey rice balls filled with sweet bean paste and coated in sweet sesame seeds. My perhaps stereotypical favorite are the baked pork dumplings, sticky sweet on top with egg glaze, filled with BBQ pork so bacon-like with sweet onion sauce. I try to be adventurous but typically go for anything dumpling-style. Pork and shrimp, mushroom and chicken, even the soup dumplings served on a spoon having been injected with broth and meat. I'm always impressed by the engineering of these dumplings, because they can somehow soak up the thin sweet n sour sauce then retain it between the sauce bowl and my mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment