Thursday, June 17, 2010

Longrain

After hearing about Longrain from nearly everyone I saw in Sydney, how great Longrain is for cocktails and how long you have to wait for a table at Longrain and how the best Asian fusion is at Longrain, I had to try it. Restaurants are so modern in Sydney! Low, super long, family-style tables stretched from the front to the way back of the space. High ceilings with one low table and one high table made the space feel vast and echoing. At first, I thought the reason tables at Longrain were so sought after was because there were barely any seats, but there were actually tons of people just sitting at these two giant tables.

Everything I ate in Sydney was some variation of pan-Asian or Asian Fusion. It became rather hilarious in a really delicious way. Longrain appeared to be heavily Thai but with such a modern twist it could only be described by everyone I asked as, wait for it, Asian fusion. One of the first dishes to arrive appeared to be somewhat famous with its egg net wrapped around pork and shrimp. It was pretty interesting although no one wanted to touch it and break it apart! I tried posting a video of how they make it, pretty cool.

We ordered way too much food, as you always do at family-style restaurants I think. Red curry beef, green curry Kingfish, basted crispy duck, salmon and lemon trout. Betel leaves topped with shrimp, roe and smoked trout. My favorite was the salmon with fennel and giant pearls of roe. Just for fun, even though we barely made our way halfway through the meal, we ordered the dessert platter. It was a smorgasbord of gooey treats like sticky rice, pudding, tapioca, custard, jellies, and caramel. Dinner was so enjoyable, the ambiance was lovely and the food was impressive. My client said the last time she was there, Gordon Ramsey was eating in the private dining room! I don't blame him, it's one of the first places I'd love to return on my next trip.

1 comment:

  1. Love hearing about your gastronomic tours of Sydney. I have a number of recommendations too for next time you visit :)

    ReplyDelete