Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Kati Roll Company

While making my way north along 5th Ave. from the Fashion District to Midtown, my growling stomach could have stopped traffic. I was one of, well, just about everyone on the street consulting my phone with such focus that stoplights couldn't slow me down as I accessed Yelp's iPhone application. Too many options with search terms too defined for my quick pace walking uptown was frustrating, so I went for UrbanSpoon (that nifty app everyone has where you shake it to find a restaurant nearby!) Sure enough, the first one that came up, Kati Roll, was half a block off 5th on West 39th. Outside, it appeared to be an unassuming fast-food style eatery for local business people. Inside, the line was 10 people long, the space was tiny, and the aroma was incredible. A unique board game-like menu offered visuals corresponding with the different types of Kati Rolls to order, a roll being made up of paratha (deep-fried flat bread) wrapped around meat, cheese or veggies. I went for the chicken and shami kebab rolls, learning the chicken was flavored with tikka masala and the kebabs were minced lamb meat. I was FLOORED by these things. So unique to begin with that I might have been blinded by sheer novelty, but on tasting the mini-masterpieces I understood why the line practically wrapped around the block as I sat there savoring. The chicken roll had thin-sliced red onion, cilantro chutney and super spicy tikka masala rubbed chicken. And I should really mention that the chicken was of the utmost quality. Tender, charred—excellent tandoori. The ground lamb roll was equally delicious with its own brand of spice and red onions. I tried to save a bite of each to compare at the end but realized I was finished before I remembered to. I would make a point of heading back here next time I'm in New York. There's one in the Village as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment