Sunday, September 13, 2009

Potato Onion Gorgonzola Tart

I read, in one of my favorite cookbooks long ago, that every woman calling herself a cook must have in her repertoire a savory tart. I got the impression if you didn't have this to fall back on or call your signature pastry, you were no real cook at all. Well. It's been in the back of my mind forever, and yesterday morning at the corner store when I saw how adorable the fingerling potatoes looked, I decided to go for it.

I sliced the potatoes about an eighth of an inch thick and sprinkled them with sea salt before frying them up in olive oil. Placed them on a paper towel and got to work on the dough. I whipped up a basic crust of 1.25 cups flour, teaspoon sugar, teaspoon salt and a half cup butter then rolled it out by hand into a big disc. I sliced a smallish onion into quarter inch rounds and placed them in the center of the dough. Then balanced the potatoes on top and pulled the dough up around them to create sides. A copious sprinkle of gorgonzola cheese over it all and into the oven for a half hour. When the dough wasn't getting very brown but the cheese was starting to get golden, I painted the sides of the tart with an egg and some butter to glisten it up. The result was a generally basic tart but one I'm happy to call my signature savory. And how I love sweet onions, a nice addition to the salty potatoes and blue cheese.

1 comment: