Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pavlovian Brilliance

Ok, so the incredible Russian dessert (which has seriously caught on down undah) wasn't named after the psychologist but the ballerina. And, oh my, is it gracefully delicious! My first Pavlova experience was at Pony, a hip tapas bar in the Rocks on a sweltering afternoon, the kind where lunch takes 2 hours because everything is moving more slowly, not because you're imbibing anything other than sparkling water. Course one involved a dozen local oysters with fresh lemon. Course two was a tender octopus and vinegar salad with pickled onions. Course three changed my life. When the merringue arrived, I'd never seen anything like it and didn't quite know how to approach it. My creative director Lea dove in by using her spoon to crack the outer shell of the merringue with a thwack. Inside the stark white shell was a marshmallow-like gooey goodness so lovely I almost forgot the perfectly ripe mango and whipped cream above and below. I've no idea how the merringue was cooked to remain un-charred yet perfectly crispy on the outside. A+ for presentation, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment