Monday, September 6, 2010

Seattle Wedding Shower


Since the most amazing women in my life are spread out all over the world, my mom and my aunt hatched a plan to host a few of them in Seattle last month.  Wendy sent out the most adorable invitations, enticing guests to celebrate not just my upcoming wedding but to do it with my favorite kitchen color: red!  As you must have guess by now, everything we registered for is food-related, whether for entertaining or for cooking.  Too fun!


Three of my four aunts were on hand, as well as my cousins and bridesmaids (all except my maid of honor in London, but we'll get there soon enough).  Wendy put together a gorgeous spread of spinach-bacon quiche, fruit salad, tomato salad, cheese (obvi) and cupcakes.  There's nothing more comforting than warm quiche for a late brunch.  Pair it with a coffee and glass of Walla Walla white wine and I'll be happy as a clam!  She did a really nice job with the presentation too, tomato slices roasted on top and a flaky, just-made crust.


The cupcakes were a different story.  I'm not usually a fan of sweets, but the frosting was lavender-flavored, and they were from Cupcake Royale so I had to give them a try.  Having been one of those enticed by the adorable ceramic pots of "cooking lavender" at Williams Sonoma, I've been constantly trying to find the right place to use it.  I've added to a quiche with herbs de Provence, coq au vin, all those funky French dishes in which flavors can be distracting from the ultimate goal.  So while I have all kinds of hopes for this floral "herb," I've yet to experience its mastery.  Until the shower!  The frosting was unreal, a sort of gentle lavender flavor with crunches of candied lavender seeds—just enough to make you hope you get one in the next bite but not enough to overpower.  Done right.

No comments:

Post a Comment