Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Cake

 One of the many remarkable things I learned in the process of wedding planning was that pastry chefs across the board expect a bride to know exactly what kind of cake she imagines cutting into as a freshly minted wife.  Seven layers with a different cake/frosting combination on each tier, tropical cocktail-inspired flavors, buttercream versus fondant, flowers made from sugar, silk or real ones!  As you may be able to tell from the lack of dessert-specific posts on this blog, I don't have a big preference when it comes to cakes.  The more I thought about it, the more options I saw online, the more I pictured a simple white cake!  And what's white?  Vanilla!  It just works.  Biting into an almond croissant on the way to meeting the catering manager one morning, I realized the filling is one of my favorite flavors and a light bulb went off; the cake would have to involve almond, somehow.


In the end, the cake we saw on our wedding night was beautiful and I think the cake itself was almond flavored!  My first bite was memorable too, mainly because it was giant and all I could think about were all the flashes going off and how embarrassing it would be if I dribbled frosting on my chin!

No comments:

Post a Comment