Monday, July 27, 2009

Join the Club

John and I first discovered Club Jalapeno in Carmel when we spent the day at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium years ago. Over rocks margaritas and mole enchiladas, we spent a really nice dinner with some good friends. Since then we've been back a number of times, I've brought a group of girlfriends and had far too many margaritas and my parents, for tostada lunches. Most recently, my mom recommended a dish I hadn't tried yet, the house specialty. Now it's rare for me to go for anything other than enchiladas, especially when mole is involved. But the chile relleno sounded fabulous: poblano pepper stuffed with chicken (not cheese!), lightly fried with mole sauce (yes!), raisins and currants (what?) The experience was delightful. Spicy and sweet, the dried currants and raisins added exotic flavor to the already decadent savory cinnamon and chocolate sauce. Someday I must learn to make mole from scratch. I've heard there are no fewer than 20 herbs and spices in each recipe, of which everyone has a different one. I like everything on the menu at Club Jalapeno, but this must be my new favorite. I can't wait to savor it on a cold, winter evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment