Monday, July 27, 2009

No Photo Available!

Returning from New Zealand I was keen to share my new-found interest in lamb. I read a great recipe in Mindfood (a fantastic down-under publication) so set out to find the recipe online back in SF. Sure enough, no recipe for lamb meatballs with soft polenta could be found online...so I did what I should have done from the start, I set out to create my own recipe!

I hand-mixed a pound of ground lamb with an egg, breadcrumbs, finely-chopped onion, salt and pepper. Making little balls, I rolled them in flour before placing in a skillet of hot oil to brown. Meanwhile, I simmered a roll of hard polenta in about 4 cups of white wine, 2 bay leaves and 4 sliced mushrooms. The polenta slowly broke down into a stirrable paste while the wine cooked off. When the meatballs were sufficiently browned, I lifted them out and placed them atop the polenta concoction. The lamb was not nearly as light in flavor as the lamb in NZ, though the onions and white wine were nice accent flavors. I adore the texture of soft polenta but you really need to buy soft polenta, it's not nearly as delicious when you cook hard polenta down, even with all that wine! I do like the alternative to rice or pasta it provided though.

Oh and lastly, the photos are available. I just can't post them. In Chris' words, it looks like a dog's breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment