Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Best Fajitas Yet

Not sure it's obvious that I could survive on Mexican food alone. I know. It seems like my palette is not one to be restrained. This is the exception. We eat fajitas about as often as possible, it's the simplest way to combine the best of Mexican fare, in my opinion. Fresh bell peppers, onions, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, beans, cheese, and sometimes, when I'm especially ambitious, Spanish rice. This past January I devoured the best fajitas of my life in Puerto Vallarta. At first, I thought the chicken and mushroom feast of fajitas on our first night in town were unmatched, but at Pipi's, the shrimp fajitas changed my life. I think it's a combination of the garlic overdose and tequila that knocked my socks off. That and the giant margarita I was consuming, the handmade tortillas, and the shrimp so fresh they must have been local. That aside, I thought, I can recreate this! I started with fresh shrimp from the organic store and chopped up a substantial pile of garlic. I remembered the chunks of garlic in Pipi's sizzling skillet and chopped chunkily. Rather than let the onions and yellow bell pepper steam in the pan before adding the meat, I put everything in at once. Even the garlic didn't go in the pan until the oil was glistening. About 4 minutes later, we had curly pink shrimp with al dente vegetables and raging garlic. I generously doused the crackling pan with tequila before serving up. I haven't mastered the setting-the-skillet-full-of-tequila-on-fire trick yet (ok, I haven't even been practicing) so the flavor would have to do. I barely added any other spices to let the garlic and tequila flavors do their thing with the shrimp. Loaded up some tortillas, sprinkle of cheese and sour cream...My best yet, if I don't say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment