Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Still My Favorite Brunch

Less than a mile from my old home in Belltown, Lola is still my favorite.  Loud in that airy, sparkling way that feels cozy and comfortable with a twinge of excitement.  Whether celebrating with a group or finding a table by the window with Shelly, it always feels like an event.  For my birthday, Sherry and Kristin surprised me with brunch there on a crisp, crystal clear Seattle morning.

We had to start with beignets, as one does at Lola, which arrive with clotted cream, strawberry rhubarb compote, and taste like warm, sugary...vehicle food.  I love how light and fluffy they are on the outside,   crispy on the outside with giant granules of sugar so you can't miss the texture match.

In a sort of embarrassing coincidence, we all ordered the exact same dish with the exact same style of eggs: Tom's Big Breakfast with octopus, pumpkin, spinach, bacon, red onion and sunny-over-medium egg.  All of this on a bed of garlic yogurt with vegetable caviar and seeds that pop with flavor.  I really can't forget to mention the spectacular coffee but I guess that goes without saying in Seattle.  Can't wait for my next trip north, as soon as it starts to get cold in SF, I miss meandering around Belltown.

No comments:

Post a Comment