Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Search for the Best Burger


Last night I talked my sweetheart into checking out the $25 burger at Epic Roasthouse. His love for burgers has lead us to a few top spots over the past few years, but I might rank this one at the top. Although I was warned the grandiosity of the burger (and all its accoutrements) would leave me stuffed to the gills, I still insisted on ordering a Hearts of Romaine salad, grilled broccolini and onion rings in addition.

To start off, the restaurant feels as epic as its name. Vaulted ceilings with an upstairs shielded by walls of wine. Huge picture windows open up to the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island. On a night like last night, the mist turned the dusk hour into shades of gray, at severe contrast to the decadent rich wood and leather inside. We decided it would be a great place to try an Old Fashioned, which was delicious, muddled with blood orange. I opted for the Phelps Cabernet.

After the delicious, sardine-draped salad, all the hot food arrived at once. Our table could barely contain the plates of 3/4 lb burger, homemade pickles, pieces of bacon, sauteed mushrooms, corn relish and the most delectable (for lack of a better description) chili sauce for the steak fries. The eye-popping possibilities was pretty much the highlight for me, I tend to go for what you might call 'vehicle food' (def. food that serves the purpose of delivering an array of flavors via the sauces you put on it). I slathered that bun in whole grain mustard, the mushrooms, bacon, and grilled onion. It was delicious. And I ate half.

The broccolini was perfectly done and had the grill flavor that left us wondering how they must have cooked it (foil? blanch then open flame?) Onion rings were lightly battered but with mucho flavor. More yummy chili sauce.

I would recommend the burger to anyone who loves sauce choice as much as I do. The rest of the menu was appealing but we were definitely there to try the rumored $25 burger and it was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment