Sunday, June 7, 2009

Afternoon Margs at Puerto Alegre

Puerto Alegre is one of those Mission spots that seems completely unspecial on the surface yet has a line around the block waiting to be seated. I've been after work and on the weekends and consistently frustrated by the wait before really average Mexican. But I think the problem has been solved! Just go on a Sunday afternoon.

When I say "average" Mexican, what I mean is that perfect combination of authentic and Americanized Mexican food that is both exactly what you've been hoping would be served and surprisingly delicious. So in this case, average is perhaps hardly average.

Today, the ladies snagged a table in the front and promptly ordered a pitcher of margs. There are about a hundred tequila choices on the menu but whatever comes in the house marg is fine by me. I usually go for my cheese enchiladas but swapped in a tamale for the second enchilada. Like I said, the food is totally average, but it's just what you want to go with a Sunday afternoon margarita.
The undeniable highlight of the meal was Evelyn's choice to order nachos about two-thirds of the way through our entrees. With 2 more pitchers of margs on the way and a cold enchilada sitting on all of our plates, those nachos were heavenly. Because I had cleaned my plate and was stuffed, it wasn't my hunger that drove me to calling them quite possibly the best nachos I've had. Chelsea had the perfect line: "Nachos are like jell-o. There's always room for nachos!"

No comments:

Post a Comment