Sunday, June 7, 2009

Back to Nepal

The summer before my senior year in college, I came back to the Bay Area for a local internship. For about a month that summer, I house-sat at my cousin's Bernal Heights mother-in-law apartment. Although I grew up less than an hour south of San Francisco, that month was really my first exposure to the city, and what a great experience! Only one block from the main street, Cortland, I found myself at the tiny restaurant Little Nepal about as often as possible. Each time a friend came up to the city to visit, no fewer than twice a week, I would take them for Nepalese curry.

Unassuming and almost entirely paneled in wood, you enter under real Himalayan prayer flags to fewer than 10 tables. I love the sparse decoration mostly focused on lace and embroidery on the walls, white tablecloths, and the pale wood paneling. It feels warm, exotic, and welcoming.

Back for the first time in so long, I went straight for the chicken curry. This time, a combination option had been added to the menu, so I had to check it out. In addition to delicious, tender, tandoori-cooked chicken simmered in tomato curry, my copper platter had basmati rice, naan, a cup of lentil soup and a cup of potato chutney. I was like a kid in a candy store with so many sauce options! It better not take me another 6 years to get back here.

1 comment:

  1. Re: "a cup of lentil soup"

    Lentil soup has a name in Nepali language: Daal. When you go to the restaurant next time (don't wait for another six years) along with friends, why not order the food in Nepali? Here are some of the words that you might need:

    Rice= bhat (pronounced bhaat)

    Chicken= kukhura ko masu (pronounced kukhuraa ko maasu)

    Potato chutney= Aalu ko achar (chutney also works)

    tomato soup= golveda ko achar/soup (tomato=golveda, soup= (depending upon how much water into it: if a lot, it's soup, if not, achar)

    copper plate= tama ko thaal (copper=taama, plate=thaal)

    Tell them: Aaja malai dal-bhat, kukhura ko masu ra alu ko achar khana man lageko chha!

    [Today I feel like eating dal-bhat, khukura ko masu and aalu ko achar!]

    Dinesh
    http://wagle.com.np

    ReplyDelete