Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Taste of the Mediterranean

San Francisco's Dine About Town happens twice a year: an opportunity to check out some higher-end restaurants offering a three-course prix fix for $35. It's tough to snag reservations during the 2 weeks in January and June the program runs, so my mom and I booked early this month. I wanted to try Paul k, in Hayes Valley, a cute looking spot on Gough within walking distance of the Asian Art Museum.

We arrived slightly early and were seated at a table facing the wall-sized mirror opposite us behind the bar. The effect of the mirror, in combination with the ample light, giant bouquets of unique fresh flowers reaching toward the ceiling, and the chalkboard drink specials felt very Mediterranean Posh. Going with it, we ordered French 75's to pass the time before John arrived.

Unable to resist mezze in a restaurant with Greek undertones, I selected a starter plate with lamb riblets, cucumber salad, baba ghanoush and lamb meatballs. I'd say this was the highlight of the meal. I selected an heirloom tomato salad with drunken goat cheese, warm olive oil and an overdose of parsely followed by the moussaka. My excitement over the moussaka was quashed when I realized it was a vegetarian version without the lamb. Moussaka is only good with lamb! Actually, the dish I ate was delicious, just different than I expected. Slivers of lemon peel garnished the ample breadcrumbs which topped the eggplant and garbonzo bean casserole, adding a somewhat incongruent flavor. For dessert was a yogurt dish with strawberries that was palate-cleansing.
Wonderful atmosphere at Paul k but if I go back, I think I'll just go for the yummy mezza plates and strong French 75's.

No comments:

Post a Comment