Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Financier's BBQ

I used to gripe about how there were great BBQ spots in Seattle but I had yet to find one in SF until Wexler’s opened down the street from my office. Now, it’s no freezing-picnic-table-in-the-middle-of-winter-while-drowning-pulled-chicken-in-sauce-so-spicy-it's-remarkably-keeping-you-warm scenario, but it has equal appeal. It’s upscale BBQ. I know what you’re thinking. What?! But yes, it’s like the fancy booth at the chili cook-off. Speaking of chili, that’s exactly what I gravitated to on the menu. House smoked short ribs and tomato sauce made up the “meat” of the dish, with sour crème fraiche and vinegar-pickled shallots on top for color. The pork was so tender and delicious, not to mention simmered in the spicy tomato base to the point of easily separating into bite-sized morsels. I saved the pickled shallots for last, I love the juxtaposition of cool vinegar with rich, hot foods.

I need to get back and start working my way through that mouth-watering menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment