Saturday, November 21, 2009

Perfect Fish & Chips

Ok, if you know me, you know I have entirely mixed feelings about Nettie's. Since it opened about 18 months ago, I've been at least 10 times for various occasions from birthday dinner to meeting the gals after work to easy go-to on a Saturday night with John. The owner came from Spruce, so editors had high hopes for the spot, but it seems like the location (where Home and Palmetto have also been open since I've lived here...the past 3 years) just can't sustain good food. Furthermore, the space is long and skinny with a great patio and atrium but a feeling like you're being led into the basement the further back the tables get. I want to say 9 out of the first 10 times I went, the hostess directed us past the patio, past the light-filled atrium close to Union street, past the tables near the bar, past the giant tables filled with screaming kids and families (just not seen in Cow Hollow) to a table at the very back, back wall. Quite honestly, it feels like you're purposefully being hidden from prospective customers. It feels like you're being relegated to an area that may or may not even have an assigned waiter. It feels like it's not worth spending money at that point.

Most of the time, I'm vocal about wanting to sit anywhere but the back. This typically offends the hostess who dramatically rolls her eyes and subsequently the staff approaches our table like we're the most high-maintenance act in town. This is even more of a turn-off. When I brought my parents for my birthday, without even giving my mom a heads up, they led us to the back and she instantly demanded a different table closer to the front. And even though they are older, more respectable members of the community, we were looked at down each waiter's nose for the rest of the meal. It's just not enjoyable when you're throwing down $15 for an entree.

I'll tell you what works, though. This is the best fish and chips in town. Beer battered cod is flakey and crispy. The potatoes are wedge cut and the tartar sauce is less mayo, more herbs and lemon. Absolutely delicious. After so many attempts to turn this into our favorite, insanely convenient spot across the street, we realize now that it is best enjoyed for its simple specialty. I can't wait for summer to enjoy fish and chips with a cold Fat Tire on the patio.

I guarantee you'll be sucked in by the day's specials and funky appetizers. Don't do it. Everything is ok but the fish and chips (and the ceasar salad in a fun giant wooden bowl) are great. I've had some real misses, actually. Fish and chips. Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment