Sunday, November 29, 2009

Nopalito

After a day of exploring the universe at Cal Academy, my parents, John and I ended up at Nopalito in the Lower Haight. Known for delicious, local, organic, sustainable Mexican food, I'd only heard good things. My mom and I went straight for the pomegranate persimmon sangria and tortopos con chile thinking it might be a twist on some good old fashioned chips and salsa that would really hit the spot. Instead, nachos with spicy salsa, sweet onions, cheese and sour cream arrived to our delight. John and I split the beet salad, a fun mix of pickled red onions, orange slices, queso fresco and lime juice.

Even though the menu had all sorts of interesting choices, from goat stew to carnitas with orange, I went for my usual: enchiladas. These were presented in a rather unique fashion with two rolled corn tortillas sprinkled with cheese and enchilada sauce next to a bone-in roasted chicken smothered in more sauce. With each bite of tender chicken (the most moist chicken I've had) I included a piece of tortilla on the fork before popping in my mouth. I was very satisfied after this meal, not too full, not concerned with my carbon footprint...! I'm eager to get back and dive into some of the more adventurous entrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment